Wednesday, May 15, 2013

On Presidents and PowerPoints

Recently a group of junior college TESOL students arrived at our school to put into practice the pedagogical knowledge they have so far acquired at their alleged institution of higher learning.  Frankly, I don't mind the disruptions to my schedule.  Who would complain about getting an hour off from work to watch an awkward twenty-something mumble nervously in front of a group of fifty students?  It's much better than being an awkward twenty-something mumbling nervously in front of a group of fifty students, that's for sure.

I'd like to think that I, though patently nervous from time to time, and certainly awkward, engage my students in some form of learning--at least most of the time.   I try, as much as possible, to get my students talking and engaging in other language oriented tasks.  Most of the time I have some measure of success.  These student teachers on the other hand appear to have no pedagogical framework.  Of the teachers I have so far observed, I have seen two mind numbingly inane and somniferous powerpoint presentations delivered without a trace of passion, insight, or even interest.

Abraham Lincoln
George Washington
All of this griping aside, the thing that concerns me most arose about ten minutes into a presentation about American holidays.  The teacher put up a whitewashed slide with the words "Presidents Day" emblazoned in, of course, red and blue comic sans font.  Beneath this insipid heading, our unimaginative lecturer copied and pasted the portraits of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.  When she weakly asked the class if they knew who these two men were, the students correctly identified both faces and one student even exuberantly screeched the words "cherry tree."

There's nothing of great concern in this, of course.  I have no bone to pick with the student teacher for her lack of engagement or her overall ineptitude or her horrendous powerpoint aesthetics (if such a seemingly oxymoronical concept exists); I mean, we've all been there.  What I do have a problem with is the students so quickly identifying the former leaders of the United States.  But even that doesn't capture my gripe. I have a problem with my imagined reversal of the whole scenario.

Sun Yat-sen
Chiang Kai-shek
Imagine this: A Taiwanese student teacher visits my seventh grade class in Utah--I'll even grant that this visitor addresses my students in English, since the entire hypothetical situation falls apart if the teacher were to mumble softly in Chinese because, c'mon, we don't have the time to learn other languages in America--and shows them portraits of Sun Yat-sen and Chiang Kai-shek.  Do you suppose that any of the students would be able to identify these men? I know I wouldn't have.  I fear that Alex Jones or some smart-aleck would make some kind of racist remark before anyone even had the chance to answer correctly. How large a group of students would we need to gather before we found a single student who could identify these men?  My hypothesis: we'd need to assemble a large enough group to have at least one Taiwanese exchange student or emigrant before we found a student who could identify them.  Hopefully, I am wrong.

One might invoke the retort that America is/was/has been the major world power for the last sixty years, and so its history is not only important to Americans but to the world, but I am not convinced that this is justifiable.  If there's anything that history has taught us/is teaching us it is that nothing happens in a closed box.  The social/political/economic/environmental dealings in China, India, Russia, Sudan, Brazil, Cambodia, and anywhere else you can point to on the globe impact the rest of us.  I'm not saying that we should memorize the presidents of every foreign nation, I'm just wondering if a little broader historical context might turn us into a more world-conscious, proactive, empathetic  and critically thinking country.  I'm also not saying we should emulate Taiwanese or any other country's education--that's a topic for another day.

To the person who raises the aforementioned retort, I would simply ask if being a world power justifies our ignorance of the rest of the world or our place in the world.  We have a plague in America, which is our naive acceptance of our perceived exceptionalism.  We believe, and are often taught, that America is the greatest country on earth and that God loves and blesses America and that everyone wants to be and American and that those who are Americans should be proud to be Americans.  We are so America-centric that we often forget that anything else exists (unless it is the "other," namely that which is to be feared: Muslims, North Koreans, etc).  What we need is consciousness.  We need to be aware of our neighbors and their histories and how they affects us today.  We need to escape our own egos and learn a little about someone else for a change.

I know there are Americans that do this, and I know that I am not entirely innocent of the biases I mention, but I believe that by expanding our understanding, and teaching our children about the world around us, we will be better equipped to take on the challenges we face as individuals and families, as a nation and as a world.





1 comment:

  1. I think this is very indicative of a stifling culture here that causes people to not only think of the United States as the best country in the world but also to utterly reject the idea that we are falling behind several countries and write the notion off as unpatriotic. It's an attitude of ignorance that prevents us from learning valuable lessons from other cultures and inspired leaders from other countries.

    I'm not very familiar with any Asian culture, so I don't know if they actually learn about people like Washington and Lincoln in school. The first thought that comes to my mind is that they know who these men are not because of the USA's importance in the world rather because of the saturation of American culture with movies and whatnot that might give a basic understanding of who these people were.

    I don't know. I'm interested to hear what you think about it, since you know what you're talking about a lot more than I do.

    ReplyDelete